Friday, September 18, 2009

Stop and Stare...do you see what I see?

     I am so incredibly happy with the path my life is taking lately. I feel like I've learned so much recently, like I've grown so much and become a different person- for the better! I've become more responsible- moving out and living on my own has turned out to be a much more positive experience than I was bargaining for. I'm not having trouble staying ahead in all of my work, I'm not feeling overwhelmed, I've created a wonderfully structured schedule that I'm reveling in... I'm not used to being in complete and utter control over the way my day runs, and I love the way I've chosen to make it. I miss my mom and grandparents and home like crazy, but I feel like being away and having that longing to go home and be with my famly has only made me learn to appreciate the things I value even more.
     I feel so proud of myself- I'm accomplishing so much, and I can't see anything but success down the road. I could never bear to disappoint my family... they've given me so much in life that I couldn't begin to repay them (but then again, that's what family's for, right?). I think that doing well and taking positive advantages of the amazing opportunities I've earned is what I owe them, at least. And I'm happy to work hard for that!
     I'm loving college so much more than I thought I would! Of course, as Chelsea so blatantly points out to me in contrast to her own sparkling social life, I hardly ever do anything- meaning, I never go out to parties, or come in from a night on the town at two o'clock in the morning... but in all honesty I am perfectly content with my quiet order of things! I love waking up early to get ready for class every morning; I love going to class and learning and participating and interacting with so many of the people whose company I've come to enjoy so much; I love taking the free time I have in between class to nap or catch up on my reading; I love coming home to my dorm at the end of the day to a roommate that I couldn't imagine being more compatible with to do my homework and study and relax. I'm so perfectly content with being a studious, relaxed, laid-back Honors student :).
     Katrina and I do get along amazingly well, though. I feel like I've known her for years and years! I was so worried that I'd end up with a roommate who insisted on keeping habits detrimental to the success of my own... but the things in common that I share with Katrina constantly surprise us! Despite the fact that she sleeps a little too late for my taste, things couldn't be going better. Our one-AM burrito snack sessions never get old (or less fun!) and I giggle whenever I think of how many times we've stayed up until four in the morning, talking and laughing and doing what friends do. I feel so lucky that I'm able to say that I'm friends with my roommate. It's going to be so wierd to live with someone else next year! And quite fitting to the fact that she's three years older than me, she takes very good care of me! I was sick a few days ago, and she made sure I was eating well and practically forced the orange juice down my throat! And then, tonight (which is the one-month anniversary of our living together!) she took me out for my inaugural Highland Market breakfast burrito! All I can say is this: perfection! I've never eaten a more delicious breakfast burrito in my life :). I've also introduced her to the wonder that is Gilmore Girls- she's addicted! She's also much more dedicated to studying (in the purest form of the word) than I am, which has been a lovely influence on me, I might add.
     To add to the goodness that just keeps on going, Sam is coming to visit this weekend! I am so excited to see him- I think it's important to say here that I was truly blessed with amazing friends in high school, and I'm so glad that I've been able to call Sam my friend since junior high! We're going cosmic bowling on Saturday night with Katrina and her friend that's coming to visit her. It should be a jolly group :D... I know I'm becoming a bit repetitive, but I'm so excited! Katrina and I have also planned to celebrate our one-month-roommate-anniversary by going SHOPPING! We're going to go schmooze around the Tucson Mall, and hit Target and Safeway for some essentials! Then, next weekend, Katrina invited me to go home with her! I definitely think I'm going to take her up on her offer... it should be so good to get out of our little bubble on campus!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment